We are quickly accelerating towards the big 2020 where we are told that the Automotive Industry will be revolutionised. Here is a rundown of the key trends that we will see over the coming years….
1. Car sharing is set to be a major factor moving forward as the emotional attachment to cars has decreased significantly over the past few years. With parking at a premium and rising fuel prices by 2030, one out of every ten cars sold is estimated to be a shared vehicle. There is the growing awareness to ‘go green’ and reduce carbon footprints but this would also ease traffic and congestion on our roads.
2. Electric cars will be more in demand as fuel prices rise due to the declining reservoir of non-renewable energy sources. They are also much more environmentally friendly and not to mention cheaper to run.
3. Blockchain Technology is a super-hot trend right now across industries. Its main implication for the automotive industry is that it could create a trusted, accurate protocol for the automotive parts supply chain, helping remove counterfeit parts from the market. This will shape the pricing strategy of car manufacturers and could also have a significant impact on the car repair industry.
4. 3D Printing will change the face of automotive manufacturing due to the safety benefits and cost-effective nature of 3D printed cars. 2018 will witness larger investments from big-name manufacturers in this sector.
5. Driverless with autonomous vehicles will take some more time to make their way onto the roads, but are definitely worth the wait. With benefits like reduced accidents, better traffic management, and increased passenger comfort, the autonomous vehicle is most definitely the crème de la crème where future automotive technology is concerned.
6. We will also see Big data’s increasing role in the automotive industry as in some countries it has been mandated that all new cars must digitally communicate starting 2020. With these developments, 2018 will witness a higher number of cars with interconnected features that will allow app developers to adapt their offerings to cross platform users on mobile, tablet, and the web. Digitalisation is finally finding a relatable example in the automotive industry.